Wednesday 30 June 2010

30 day challenge - Day 3

Day three is my favourite tv program. This one was hard to choose as I love sooo many programmes. But I managed to narrow it down to three!

First is Teachers. This was on Channel 4 a few years ago (from 2001 - 2004 I believe) and it was based around, believe it or not, a group of teachers. It was quite a dry comedy and isn't everyones cup of tea but I loved it and seen as in 2001, when it started, I was 11-12 years old, I defiantly shouldn't have been watching it. Naughty me!!

It started showing on a satellite TV channel, can't remember which one, a couple of years ago which got me back into watching it so I bought the box set which I have watched many times over.
Scene from Teachers. Images from Google Images


Next is Dinnerladies. This was only shown on BBC for two series (1998 - 2000) and was written by and stared the fabulous Victoria Wood. This is very much family humour which was a bit tongue in cheek but it's all very innocent. I can't remember the exact line but it goes something like this:

Stan (to Anita who had a blow up male doll, Malcolm, to go in the car with her to prevent her being attacked): "You'd better blow Malcolm up a bit more, you don't want him going down on you"

Once again this was shown on Sky on UK TV GOLD or GOLD (as it's been re-branded) which got me back into it and again I bought the box set which has been well used!

Promotional photo of Dinnerladies. Images from Google Images


Finally it's the Vicar of Dibley which starred the amazing Dawn French. This is the longest running out of my three choices (1994 - 2007) which I think was due to not only Dawn French taking the lead role of Geraldine Granger but because Richard Curtis (Four Weddings and a Funeral, Love Actually, Blackadder and Mr Bean) was it's writer.

With only Geraldine as the main character I don't think it would have been such a success (even though Dawn French is hilarious) but with the back up of such amazing characters such as Owen Newitt, who has a fascination with animals & sex, Alice Tinker, the naive verger, Jim Trott, no, no, no, no, yes (I don't need to say more on that one), Frank Pickle, the pedantic, still in the closet parish council note taker, and of course David and Hugo Horton, the upper class brainy father and not-so-brainy son, we tuned in to see what they were going to get up in their village cappers. Oh and of course there was Liz Smith who played Mrs Cropley who's unusual cooking combinations made you laugh and cringe at the same time!

Again I bought the box set of this but it hasn't been as well used as the other two but it's still a great watch.
Promotional photo of The Vicar of Dibley. Images from Google Images



0 comments:

Post a Comment